Time: 20 – 30 minutes
There is absolutely no shortage of ancient grains to add to your pantry, but if you haven’t tried bulgur wheat, lockdown is definitely the time to give it a go! Rich in fibre and so easy to cook! This delicious and flavourful meal packs a healthy punch!
- 2 large aubergines
- 1/2 Cup Mediterranean style vegan cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 Cups of uncooked bulgur wheat
- 2 Cups of water
- 1/4 Cup cherry tomato pasta sauce
- Salt & pepper
- Slice the eggplant down the middle & open it slightly. Make criss-cross lines inside with a sharp knife, drizzle with olive oil, salt & pepper. Start baking in the oven at 180C for 30min.
- In a medium pot, heat the olive oil & sauté the onions & pepper until soft.
- Add the bulgar wheat & sauté for a minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the water & the pasta sauce.
- Simmer for about 20 min, adding more water as needed.
- Fluff with a fork & serve inside your baked aubergine, top with crumbled “feta”, red onion & fresh parsley!